OneDrive is a cloud-based file hosting service of Microsoft that allows users to store personal files. Microsoft also offers OneDrive service for small businesses. Sometimes, necessity occurs to move files from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business. As these two are completely different services, users find it difficult to migrate OneDrive files to OneDrive for Business. This write-up aims at making the export process easy. Here, techniques to transfer files between OneDrive and OneDrive will be discussed.
Techniques to Move Files from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business
There is no manual method to transfer OneDrive files to OneDrive. To perform file transfer between two OneDrive services, people use third party tools like OneDrive Migrator. This program can seamlessly migrate files from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business. Some of the highlighted features of this program are:
- Transfers OneDrive documents & files to another OneDrive Account.
- Provides Pause, Resume, and Stop options during migration.
- Migrates permissions from OneDrive to OneDrive.
- Provides Date Filter option to export OneDrive data files.
- Generates & saves complete report of export process in CSV file.
- Compatible with Windows 10 OS and all lower versions of it.
- OneDrive Impersonation configuration is needed to run this tool.
Apply OneDrive Impersonation
Users must note that to use this program, they have to configure impersonation in OneDrive. Here is the step by step method to enable OneDrive impersonation.
Prerequisites of OneDrive Impersonation
In order to perform impersonation, OneDrive users must fulfil these prerequisite conditions.
- Go to Microsoft Windows Download Center. Using PowerShell, download and install SharePoint Online Management Shell (SOMS).
- Also, download AdminRights.ps1 script on the same machine.
Process of OneDrive Impersonation
OneDrive impersonation can be divided into two main parts. Both the parts are described in details here.
Part A: Create Service Account for OneDrive Access Management
1. To begin, log in to Office 365 Management Panel with an account having Admin Privilege. On the left pane, click users and groups.
2. To create a new account, click on + icon.
3. A detail page will open. Enter all necessary information for new service account and click Next.
4. From Settings page, choose Yes for ‘Admin Permissions’ option. Choose Global Admin from the drop-down menu and click Next. Users can also include an additional email id and location.
5. From email page, click Create in send results. The information of service account should not be sent to Admin.
6. Log in to O365 Management Panel with the new service account. Update its password to activate the new account.
Part B: Configure OneDrive Impersonation
Now, to proceed with the method to move files from OneDrive to OneDrive for business. The next step is to configure permission for current users, apply this part of the process. There are two options for the users to execute this part.
Provision #1: Users can apply for automatic permission for all user accounts by running SOM Shell script. This method should be implemented in case of multiple users.
Provision #2: Users can manually configure the user account via SharePoint Admin Center. This method is best when you have only a handful of users.
Users can choose from any of the following options according to their need.
1. Use SharePoint Online Management Shell script to configure Permission.
2. Download admin rights.ps1 script and open in Notepad or any other text editor.
3. Browse and edit the four variables given below. All four options must be filled in order to make SOMS script run.
Use the domain name you used for O365 login in both AdminURL and MyURL.
- $o365login: Replace with username of O365 administrator account or service account.
- $o365pw: Replace with password of Office 365 server account or admin account
- $spAdminURL: Replace with your organization’s OneDrive URL, but suffixed with ‘-admin.’
- $spMyURL: Use OneDrive URL of your organization suffixed with ‘-my.’
1. First, Save and shut down the entire script.
2. Find out the location of SOMS that you have installed during Part A of the process. Right-click on it and run as Admin.
Note: If you do not run this script with Admin rights, you will face this error:
Therefore, it is always suggested to run the Shell script as an Admin.
3. Move the working directory in SOMS to the same location where AdminRights.ps1 script is stored.
4. Now, run this command:
5. A question will appear saying “Do you want to change the execution policy?” Enter Y to proceed.
6. for AdminRight.ps1 script, run this command:
7. To exit the script, hit Enter.
8. To finish, exit SharePoint Online Management Shell.
Once you have successfully configured OneDrive impersonation, you can use the mentioned application to transfer OneDrive files to OneDrive for Business.
Working of OneDrive to OneDrive for Business Migration Tool
Follow these steps to migrate OneDrive to OneDrive for Business using this software.
1. Download and Install the program on your system. Launch this tool to move files.
2. Enter Admin Credentials in both boxes of source and destination. Confirm that both the accounts are impersonated already.
3. Use different filters to select files you want to move. You can use date filter, file type filter, and Selective Permissions filter. Then click Export.
4. You have successfully completed the process to transfer OneDrive files to OneDrive for Business.
No manual method is available to perform the migration. But users necessity cannot be constrained by such situation. To solve this problem, third-party applications have been invented. Here we discussed how to move files from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business using such a tool. We expect the users to successfully implement this process on their own.