Export G Suite to MBOX – Save Google Emails as MBOX Files
Summary: This article describes 3 proven methods to export G Suite emails to MBOX. Whether you need to export messages from one G Suite account or multiple user accounts at once, we have it covered. Read the article to find out more.
G Suite is technically a business Gmail account. So, the export options available for Gmail can also be implemented for an individual G Suite account.
For example Google Takeout. Of course, you have to be mindful of a few things.
There are several methods particularly designed for G Suite as well as the Export functionality in the G Suite Admin Panel. And professional tools that automate the entire process. Some organizations also outsource the export process to dedicated service providers.
Ultimately, what you choose depends on your requirements. It can be about a fixed deadline, budget, time, place, number of users, and even trust factors. Anyhow, we will discuss 3 methods that are designed to cater to all the user’s requirements as a whole. You can choose one as per your situation.
Three Proven Techniques to Export G Suite Emails to MBOX
Here, we will describe three solutions to convert G suite emails to MBOX file format.
Google Takeout for Exporting Mailbox from Single G Suite Account
This technique is for the user’s end and not something that an organization admin can do by itself. A single G Suite account holder can make use of the Takeout service from Google to move Google apps emails to SD card or local computer. If there are multiple users, either the end-users will have to do it themselves, or the admin will need to perform the steps again and again for each account.
- Sign in to your G Suite account on your browser
- Select Data & Personalization and click on Download your data option
- Click Deselect All button
- Go to the Mail section and tick the box. You can also choose the mail data that you want to export from G Suite to MBOX with the All Mail data Included option
- Scroll down and click on the Next Step button
- Leave the default settings and click on Create export button
- Google will start creating the archive of your G Suite account
- Once the process completes, you will receive an email containing the download button, click Download your files
- When the file is downloaded, extract it on your system and you will get multiple MBOX files.
Note the Limitations:
- Only applicable for one G Suite account at once
- Limited download retries
- Takes days to get the download link from Google
How to Export G Suite to MBOX Files for Domain Users With a Reliable Solution
Using the G Suite export tool, users can easily export G Suite data to PST, MSG, EML, and MBOX for multiple users. It is a proven tool recommended by experts to easily export Google workspace data to MBOX file format without any data loss issues.
Working Steps to Convert Google Apps Emails to MBOX
- Download and launch the application on your computer
- Select the source & destination platform
- Choose desired format & workload then hit on next
- Validate source & destination performance
- Finally hit on the export button
Note: This tool also allows you to export G Suite to MSG, PST, and EML files.
Data Export Tool for G Suite Admin User
The Data Export tool is available only for the super admin of a Google domain. The administrator can export G suite to MBOX for multiple users. However, there are some prerequisites that must be taken care of before implementing the steps.
- The G suite domain must be more than 30 days old.
- The user must be a super administrator.
- 2-step verification is to be enabled for the admin account.
- The domain must have 1000 or fewer accounts.
Once the prerequisites are done, follow these steps:
- Sign in with G Suite admin credentials and open the G Suite Admin panel.
- Click on the “<” button and select Tools >> Data Export.
- Click on Start export.
- Google will process the user accounts at its end and provide you with the download link via an email message.
- Once you receive it, download the data and extract it on your system to get MBOX files.
Alert: Although this process seems easy, it is still not preferred by many organizations. The reasons are as follows:
- Users cannot specify the data type and wish to export only that data. For example, users cannot specify and export only G Suite emails to MBOX.
- You cannot use this technique for only some users.
- The processing takes a lot of time. You may have to wait for a whole week to only get the download link.
Other than the defined methods, you can also export Google Apps to MBOX by synchronizing your G Suite account with MBOX-supported email clients such as Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.
Why Do We Care?
Google has a trusted data management history. However, it is not free from issues of cybercrimes. Hence, it is always good to have a local copy of the G Suite mailbox in MBOX files on your local system. That is why we have provided you with solutions to export Google Apps to MBOX. Some methods are feasible for a single account, while others are optimal for multiple accounts. But, the automated tool combines the advantages of both these methods and export G Suite to MBOX files for several users accounts at once.