How to Open Lotus Notes NSF Archive File in Outlook?
This blog will solve your query ‘how to open Lotus Notes Archive file in Outlook?’ in detail. A manual process to do it has been discussed here, along with the reasons why it should not be used. To remove all the voids, we have also recommended a professional tool for the users.
There are many reasons why users would want to move their archive files to Outlook. However, some of them are the complex user interface of Lotus Notes and not allowing the users to access the .nsf files because of the tight security features. Whatever the reason might be, users are looking for ways to be able to read Lotus Notes archive files in Outlook, which is not an easy task.
Also Read: Migrate NSF Archive Files to Office 365
What is Lotus Notes Archive File in Outlook? In brief
However, before moving forward it is important to understand what archive files are and why do users use them? When the users have a lot of old data piled up in their mailbox, it makes their Lotus Notes account sluggish. This is one of the main reasons why users archive their files. Other reasons can be to clean the mailbox, backup the data, or save some space.
The format in which Lotus Notes saves its archive mailbox items is an archive.nsf. Thus, when a user wants to open Lotus Notes archive file in outlook it is important to convert the data into a PST file format that is accepted by Outlook.
Multiple Approaches to Open Lotus Notes Archive File in Outlook?
There are two top approaches that can be used to open and read Lotus Notes archive file in outlook. These are –
Method 1. Manually Open Lotus Notes Archive File in Outlook
The manual method for moving Lotus Notes archives to Outlook is divided into two steps:
Step 1: Convert an NSF Archive to a CSV File
In this case, you must export the NSF archive to a CSV file by performing the steps given below-
- Firstly, open Lotus Notes and select File
- Then, click on the ‘File’ option and then Open the Lotus Notes Application
- After that, browse in the Open Application window to locate the NSF archive on your system
- Lastly, select ‘Open after selecting the NSF archive’.
Using the NSF Archive File:
5. Navigate to the ‘File’ option and hit the ‘Export’ button.
6. Select Comma Separated Value in the Save as type section and give the file a name. Then select Export.
7. In the new window that appears, select the appropriate options. Then, when finished, lastly, click OK to save the file in the desired location.
Step 2: Open Outlook and Import the CSV File.
Now that you’ve saved the NSF archive data to a CSV file, you can import it into Outlook by doing the following:
- Firstly, navigate to File > Open & Export > Import/Export in Outlook
- After that, select Import from another program or file in the new window. Then hit the Next button
- Click the Next button after selecting Comma Separated Value
Wizard for Importing and Exporting Outlook
4. Locate the CSV file on your system by clicking the Browse button. Then, press the Next button.
5. Choose the Outlook mailbox folder to which you want to save the CSV file. Then, press the Next button.
6. At last, select the appropriate options in the new window, then finally, click Finish. As a result, you will be able to open Lotus Notes archive file in Outlook.
Drawbacks of the Manual Method
The above two steps can help you to open Lotus Notes archive file in Outlook manually. However, there are certain roadblocks in this method-
- It’s a long and tiring method that will eventually waste your time.
- Since CSV is for spreadsheets, it is difficult to convert all the emails in .nsf format to .pst. Thus, there is a chance to lose data while doing the process.
- If you want to convert batch files then converting NSF archive files to PST in batches is not possible.
To remove these hindrances, we will suggest you use the automated method. It is a user-friendly solution that will help you to read Lotus Notes archive file in Outlook easily.
Method 2. Expert-recommended to Convert Lotus Notes Archive File
The NSF to PST Converter is the direct and most convenient method to Open NSF file in Outlook and export your archive.nsf files in PST format. In this utility, you will get an option to convert either your entire or selected items to PST. There is a great feature to resolve the issue even if the files are encrypted they can be converted to PST. In addition, it is mandatory to install Lotus 9.0.1 to export NSF emails to PST.
You can download the software from the button given below-
Step by Step Guide to Use the Utility
Firstly, download and install the application on your system. Run the software and follow the steps to know how to use the tool-
Step 1: Secondly, click on the Add Files or Add Folder option and add the .nsf files that are to be converted
Step 2: Then, export either all or selective data by applying the Date Filter
Step 3: After that, Browse the destination location where you want to save the file
Step 4: Finally, hit the Export button and save the report.
What are the reasons behind a user willing to open Lotus Notes Archive in Outlook-
- Outlook is many users’ first choice because of its user-friendly interface and brilliant features. This is one of the reasons why so many users want to read Lotus Notes Archive in Outlook.
- Another reason to access Lotus Notes Archive in Outlook is having some old Lotus Notes Archive.nsf files and wanting to view the data without opening the Lotus Notes application.
Being able to access and open Lotus Notes archive file in Outlook is not an easy task. This is because it requires the users to convert the archive.nsf files in PST file format. You can convert NSF files to PST files easily with the help of the methods that we have discussed above. You can use the manual method, however, there are some hindrances that you will face and chances of data loss. Therefore, it is not recommended. Thus, a professional way to do it is suggested where you can easily convert NSF files and read Lotus Notes archive files in Outlook.