Organizations need to find the most effective ways to safeguard their information because security thefts are on rapid rise. Majority of the firms are turning to DLP implementation for securing their network. Because of the presence of competing technology and DRM, Data Loss Prevention Technique is coming into wide existence. The major aim of DLP products is always to prevent secretive information from revealing and from getting access in wrong hands. At least with the help of DLP implementation steps, it will be possible to recognize the occurrence of data violation activities. This blog will help users by providing effective ideas for implementation of DLP in an organization.
10 Successful DLP Implementation Steps
The following ten points will provide a complete guide to plan and implement data loss prevention technique on secretive data:
- Create a matrix for document classification, before beginning with actual implementation process. Based upon the risk, this document types should be classified. Overall there are 3 to 5 classifications with the public data comprising of score 1 and material having highly classified data comprising of the highest rating. Each and every classification should include essential controls, which covers the data protection either at rest or in the motion. This gives assurance to end users that only the active accounts will be able to work with valuable data and also, equips the audit testing from official’s system.
- It is quite difficult to ensure the already existing data protection and also to recently created data. Here firms give favor to the risk-based approach in which access to the secretive data on daily basis will be systematically trained with responsibilities. One needs to understand the complete challenges associated with data loss, which may degrade organization growth as well. It is the responsibility of data owners to properly label and protect the data and they need to be familiar with all the policies related to management-endorsed.
- Determine the location where existing data is saved and try to classify it. Learn the business flow inside and outside the organization. Check all the data stores and controls at their defined location. Through the help of DLP discovery software, host and network scanning functionality should be capable of recognizing secretive data saved on the user’s devices and sharing network. There are majority of chances that users find unprotected copies of the valuable data, which needs to be protected or permanently deleted. If the data is essential then, without wasting a single minute protect it; else delete it from the system in the way no one can recover it at any cost.
- DLP implementation steps involve identification of all the cases that might lead to data loss. Information about the data, its appearance, and who all can access it, will be creating tailored controls. This recently created controls will be reducing data loss risk and eliminate the damage in these kinds of data loss scenario. At this stage, users need to understand the business needs and exercise, regulatory demands, risk and all small chances of data loss. Be specific to all the answers to the question and create a proper documentation upon it.
- End users who are working with completely confidential data must be provisioned with the agent of endpoint DLP. If the agent is not allowed at BYOD platform then, prudent risk management indicated that individuals need to have full right to handle to confidential documents. Generally, who handles sensitive data are restricted to USB access at the time of enforcing DLP software.
- Begin with a monitoring mode and generate simple rules in policy. Here, the mode indicates that it will be providing a layout that how to enforce policies. This also throws a picture on security retraining and awareness needed for security purpose. Typically, the email messages render perfect outcome with highest rate of accuracy. Always the email policy is the one for being getting enforced and in this area highest level security is needed. This is so because email platforms are the major causes behind revealing of confidential items. Regular expression algorithms are used to search SSN and bank account details. As a result of successful DLP implementation steps, business will reach a rapid growth without worry of any unwanted event occurrence.
- Regular monitoring and controlling of sensitive files upgrade the current understanding of entire data usage within the company. The networking-based products should be capable of analyzing the data flow, either internally or externally. Well, the updated policies are having capability to at least ensure basic security rules that work without implementation of standard rules.
- There is need to solidify and document the risk response profile. Make use of risk-based measure for blocking and calibrating the confidentiality of data loss prevention for existence of 3 categories: log only, allow, and block and log. The ability of blocking might be slowly expanding for avoiding the false positives.
- Whether the firm deploys network solution, end-node solution, or both, security should be enforced at all the time. The alarm needs to educate individuals the reason for policy violation with advice for its remediation. Also, additional instructions are to be given for preventing repetition of the violations. This is the way through which an individual is rendered with feedback. Well, he/she can recollect his / her action by modifying the behavior.
- Give a chance to end users to improve their mistakes. They need to make changes in the documents for meeting the policy demands.
If the DLP Implementation steps are carried out in the correct manner then, organization confidential data is definitely safe from any Cyber threat. Always keep one thing in mind that not even a single chance should be there through which intruders can reveal the confidential data. So, be conscious and active whenever implementation of data loss prevention steps takes place.