Transfer Address Book from Outlook to Apple Mail Without Data Loss
Do you want to export your Outlook 2016 contacts to Mac Mail but are unaware of the process? Are you one of those people who want to know how to transfer address book from Outlook to Apple Mail? In that case, you are at the right place. Many Mac OS X users want to transfer their contacts from Outlook 2016 to Apple Mail.
In order to guide them to successfully migrate Outlook contacts to Mac Mail, this write-up will provide a complete guideline.
We will share various techniques to add Outlook contacts to Mac Address Book with the readers so that they can choose the one suitable for them. First, read a user query related to this topic.
“I have recently bought a MacBook Pro. Earlier, I used to have Outlook as my default email client. I want to migrate my contacts from Outlook 2016 to Mac Mail now.
I want to know how to transfer address book from Outlook to Apple Mail. Is there an easy way by which I can export my contact book from Outlook to Apple Mail?”
Techniques to Transfer Address Book from Outlook to Apple Mail
There are a number of methods available for Outlook to Apple Mail contact migration. Here we will learn a manual method as well as an easy alternative method.
#1: Manual Method to Move Contacts from Outlook to Mac Address Book
There is a manual method to export contacts from Outlook 2016 to Apple Mail. We will go through the step-by-step instruction of that method now. In this process, we export Outlook contacts in CSV format and then import it into Mac Mail.
In this process, we use the Mac OS Contacts application, which is used by Mac OS X for contact management. Here is how to transfer address book from Outlook to Apple Mail.
Export Outlook Contacts in CSV File Format
- Open Outlook 2016/ 2013 on your system and click File.
- Then click on Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Make sure you have selected the Export to a file option. Click on Next to go to the next page.
- Choose Comma Separated Values on this page and click on Next.
- Choose the location where you want to save the Outlook contacts in CSV file format. Also, add a name to it, for example, Outlook AB.csv.
- Now copy that CSV file to the Mac system where the preferred Mac Mail is situated.
Import CSV File in Apple Mail using Mac OS Contacts Utility
Before proceeding to import the Outlook CSV file to Mac Mail, perform these tasks to correctly format the CSV file. Users can take the help of any text editor.
- If there is any line break within the contact information, remove it.
- Confirm if there is a comma in every field to separate them. Commas should not be preceded or succeeded by any ‘space’.
- Make sure that all the contacts consist of the same count of fields. For that, you may add the empty field.
Now that these tasks are completed, perform the following steps:
- Open Contacts application used in Mac OS X.
- Click on File >> Import.
- Locate Outlook AB.csv and click Open.
- Check the first card and all its field labels. For any incorrectly labeled headers, mark “Do not import.”
- Tick Ignore the first card option to not import the header card. If the CSV file does not have any header card, then uncheck this option.
- To change any label, click on the arrow situated next to that label. Click on the Do not import option if you are unwilling to import any field.
- Finally, click on OK. The CSV file will get imported into the Contacts application.
Limitations of Manual Method to Transfer Address Book from Outlook to Apple Mail
As there are pros and cons with everything, so as with the above manual approach. There are some limitations with this manual method to transfer address book from Outlook to Apple Mail also. This process imports contacts in CSV format only. If users want to import contacts in VCF format, they need to convert CSV to vCard 2.1. As Apple Mail supports vCard 3.0 and above versions, that VCF file has to be converted again from 2.1 to 3.0.
Moreover, users need to put constant supervision while conducting the method. For busy users, this will cause great inconvenience. To avoid these issues, they should choose an alternative method that is easy and reliable.
#2: Alternate Solution to Save Outlook Address Book in Mac vCard Format
To save users from the demerits of the manual method, we will introduce an alternative method here that is very easy to perform. To perform this method, users need to use CSV to vCard for Mac Tool. This is a fascinating application capable of solving all problems related to Outlook to Apple Mail address book transfer.
Now exporting contacts from Outlook 2016 to Mac Mail has become easier than ever. Its interface is quite similar to Mac OS, so Mac OS X users will find it very easy to run. Moreover, this program supports Mac OS X 10.6 and all upper versions.
Now we will have a look at the basic features of this software:
- Transfers Outlook address book to Apple Mail.
- Allows mapping CSV contact file with the vCard file.
- Exports multiple contacts CSV files to Mac Mail.
- Every CSV file creates a separate vCard file.
- Consists of a GUI based on the Mac OS system design.
- Compatible with Mac OS 10.6 and upper versions.
Due to different reasons, users face the need to export Outlook contacts to Mac Mail. Many of them do not know how to perform the migration process. For these users, this post discussed how to transfer address book from Outlook to Apple Mail. We have talked about both the manual method and the alternative method. As the manual method has some limitations, users should choose to use the application mentioned here. This tool will easily export all Outlook contacts to Mac Mail by converting them into VCF format.