What is Access Database File – Prevent and Recover it from Corruption
MS Access is considered one of the simplest methods of database creation and management. But what do we do when they got corrupt? Is there any method to Recover the Corrupt Access Database File?
Yes, we are here with a number of ways to repair corrupted Access files. So let’s start with the basic review of Microsoft Access and the reason behind the distorted files in it.
What is MS Access and How We Can Use It?
As we discussed earlier, Microsoft is the simplest and most efficient method for database management. You can create databases for any data like contacts, tasks, events, or projects. It has two file types that are used to store all the data regarding that database.
One is ACCDB (or MDB) and another is LACCDB (or LDB) file. ACCDB file extension is an Access 2007/2010 database file. This file type replaces the older file format (.mdb) with its enhanced features like support for encryption and file attachments.
When we are seeking this file in MS Access, a similar Record-Locking Information File (.LACCDB) is automatically created in the same folder to protect a file from the accidental editing of the original file. It is helpful when multiple people are working on the same file.
How did the Access Database File Get Corrupted?
Technically, when any binary file format of a database runs into an error, its corruption occurs. It causes difficulties when users want to access it. But MS Access has a feature of JET DATABASE ENGINE which can automatically resolve your minor database errors that occur in MS Access but this can cause a major distortion of a file in the future.
There are numerous reasons for the unwanted corruption of the Access Database File which are dictated below:
- Writing Interruption: Unwanted or sudden exit from the application at the time when the writing operation is ongoing can cause Access file corruption.
- Hardware Failure: There are many reasons where hardware failure can be a reason for corruption in database files like disk failure, storage failure, etc.
- Software Failure: Due to incorrect file type recovery there may cause corruption in a database file. It may have various types of software failures including source conflict in the system.
- Multiple Database Access: MS Access has its users limitation because of which when multiple users work on the same database file its performance and efficiency got reduced and it got corrupted.
- Inefficient Database Design: Mistakes that occur in the coding and designing state may also cause the inefficient design of the database because which database is not working correctly.
Prevention Majors for Access Database File Recovery
For the prevention of corruption, one should have to take care of some things which can lead to an increase in the durability of the database.
- Update Drivers Time To Time: Manufacturers pay little attention to device drivers. Because of this a lot of people report bugs in drivers, so they are updated very quickly.
- Split Database: Instead of embedding everything in a single file try to make partitions as front-end and backend files. Place a copy of your front-end database on your local hard disk and link it back to the tables that are sitting on a file server. This makes your database access quite faster.
- Don’t Leave Database Open: Most backups will backup Access Database even if they are open, so it is risky to leave them that way.
Modest Ways to Recover Corrupt Access Database File
- Restore the backup database file(this is the need for a backup file).
- Delete the .ldb file which is automatically created by Jet Database Design at the time when the file is open.
- Delete compiled VBA codes from the database using this command line given by Microsoft.
[Note: Set the path according to your location.]
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MsAccess.exe /decompile
- A built-in method of MS Access 2010 is “Compact and Repair”. Here are the steps to use this method:
- Open MS Access and go to the Database Tools-> Compact and Repair Database.
- Open the Database file you need to recover.
- Processing occurs and the database got rectified.
Advanced Solution For MBD File Recovery:
The solution provided above is for minor corrupted file and are not able to work with major corruption. To make it simple, you can go with the third-party tool which is quite efficient and provide faster recovery for the Access File. One such is the SysTools Access Recovery Tool which can serve as a solution for 90% of the problems occurring in the MDB and ACCDB files.
Steps to Recover Corrupt Access Database File:
1: Run & Open Access Recovery Tool to repair corrupt access file
2: Preview Access File Data by clicking on recovered Database Items
3: Select & Browse the destination path to Save data as MS Access Database or CSV
4: Select Export Options to Export with the Only Schema or With Schema & Data.
Features of Access Database File Recovery Tool:
- Repair corrupt MDB and ACCDB files.
- Can export recover Database: With or Without Schema.
- Recover and restore tables, queries, reports, etc.
- Restore files from corruption due to MDB file size being exceeded.
- Can recover corrupt MDB files in MS Access 2013, 2010,2007, etc.
What We Conclude…
In this blog, we discussed the Microsoft Access database MDB and ACCDB files. We also explain the best ways how to prevent corruption and how to recover corrupt Access database file with a list of methods provided here.