There is a number of desktop and web-based email clients available. AOL (America Online) Mail is one of the web-based email clients. On the other hand, Mozilla Thunderbird is a desktop-based email client that supports MBOX file format. It is a common query that raises, “how to set up AOL email in Thunderbird?”
So, if you have the same query, go through the procedures below and export AOL mail to Thunderbird application.
Manually Add AOL Email in Thunderbird
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird. Click on Tools >> Account Settings >> Account Actions.
- Select Add Mail Account from the menu.
- Type Your Name, Email Address, and Password. Then, click on Continue.
- To add AOL to Thunderbird, choose for IMAP option.
- Click on Manual Config. Now under the server hostname, verify the following:
Incoming: imap.aol.com/Port: 993 (SSL)
Outgoing: smtp.aol.com/Port: 465(SSL)
- Click on Retest.
- Now click on Done to set up AOL Mail in Thunderbird. You can check your emails in Thunderbird.
This is it. Now all the emails of AOL Mail will be visible in the Thunderbird application. There is another method by which you can get AOL emails to Thunderbird. Get that technique below.
Export AOL Email to Thunderbird Effortlessly
SysTools AOL Mail Backup software is a popular and trusted utility to save emails in AOL Mail to the local hard drive. it does not require any account configuration. A simple and direct process to export AOL emails. To get AOL email in Thunderbird, you can take backup in MBOX format.
- The tool can backup AOL email folders by saving AOL mail to the hard drive in different file formats like MBOX, PST, MSG, and EML.
- Provides facilities to filter emails and archive AOL email locally
- Have option to perform incremental backup
Steps to Export AOL Email in Thunderbird MBOX
Step 1: Download and Run AOL to Thunderbird MBOX Exporter and login with AOL account.
Step 2: Select MBOX file to export AOL emails.
Step 3: Select location to save AOL email file.
Step 4: Click on Start to export AOL email in Thunderbird MBOX file.
Need to Set up AOL in Thunderbird
There are various reasons to migrate from a web-based email to the desktop based email application You need to add AOL account to Thunderbird due to following reasons:
- If a user needs to create a backup of emails in his local disk, then he needs to access the data from a desktop email client like Thunderbird.
- If a user needs to access multiple accounts from a single email client then he can use Thunderbird.
- If the server is down, then you cannot access your data from the server. So in that case, you should export AOL email to Thunderbird MBOX file format.
- There are a number of features in Thunderbird like attachment reminder, message archive, powerful search option, activity manager, large files management, etc that can easily attract any user to go for the desktop email application.
- Sometimes security of data is one of the issues for the web based email client. So, to overcome that problem, you need to convert AOL to Thunderbird.
AOL mail is a webmail-client and it offers a desktop application to access the email locally. Though the AOL desktop or popular as AOL Gold is not acceptable for all the users, they search for a more reliable application to access it offline. Thunderbird is one desktop email client that is free to use and available on cross platforms. So set up AOL email in Thunderbird to access your mail data at all times.