Learn How Google Drive, Gmail, G Suite DLP Rules Work In Several Ways
Several websites are there that describe procedure to create DLP for Google Drive Security. But, they just give an overview on working of G Suite rules but, do not explain them. In this post, we are going to illustrate G Suite DLP working in different ways for various purposes. It will enable business administrator to utilize DLP for Gmail security in a more convenient manner.
Introduction of G Suite DLP
Day-by-day Google is trying to enhance its services and products for rendering the best cloud computing security measures and user experience in the market. As an output of this, the Google currently expanded its services of Data Loss Prevention for Google Drive and Gmail for business users. G Suite DLP is the set of automated operations, which monitors items stored on the Google storage. These operations trigger crucial content (defined by the domain admin), detect it, and prevent items from accidental or intended breaches.
Gmail DLP scans the email messages for triggers and when something suspicious is encountered, it immediately takes actions. These actions are predefined by the administrator at the time of creating DLP rules for Google Drive.
Different Way to Work With Gmail DLP Rules
Way #1: G Suite DLP Rules Editing
- Login into the Administrator console screen of Google Drive
- Go to Rules section by clicking on More Controls, which is located at the bottom of the admin page
- Click on Manage button to expand the list of Google Drive DLP rules
- Select the rules, which you desire to modify
- Edit any of the 3 listed settings i.e., Conditions, Triggers, and Actions
- At last, click on Save and Activate button to apply the changes made in Gmail DLP rule
Way #2: Monitor the Rule of G Suite DLP
It is possible for an administrator to track the rules, which are being edited, deleted, or added via DLP scan. When the scanning operation gets started, you can track the information about it and then, can view any modifications in Tasks on the Admin Console screen.
- If a Google Drive DLP rule is added, deleted, or edited then, it triggers a new DLP scan.
- When a rule is modified at the time of DLP scan in ‘progress’ state, the scanning gets restarted. The operations associated with ongoing scanning procedure gets recorded up-to-date for listing that what was changed.
- The scanning gets restarted and new task is programmed for another administrator when he or she makes modifications in a Gmail DLP rule at the time of its ‘progress’ state. The actual operation no longer records the scanning.
Google for Business clients can make use of rule audit templates and data. Following two measures are going to aware you from the same:
Measure #1: See And Export Details of Flagged Items
- Sign into Gmail for Business administrator page and go to the Rules section
- Click on the Audit button to display all G Suite DLP rules in front of you
- If needed then, you can alter the sorting order of displayed rules by clicking on Select Columns. Whatever changes are made in this step will get displayed on next login
- Use Filter section for the table configuration to show particular elements. Now either you need to mention the name or choose element from the following listed fields:
- a) Flagged item identifier
- b) Rule Name
- c) Item Owner
- d) Flagged item name
- e) Matched content detectors
- f) Team Drive ID
- g) Date and Time range
Measure #2: Either View Or Filter Gmail DLP Templates
- Open Rules page in your G Suite for Business administrator page
- From the top of the web page, click on Templates
- If you want to modify the criteria that is displayed then, click on the Select columns. Well, the alteration that you will make in this step will be saved and available whenever you will login into your account
- It is your wish whether you want to perform table configuration for certain elements or not. This can be performed with help of Filter section where either you need to enter names or choose elements in following fields:
- a) Template description – Give description of the earlier illustrated template
- b) Template Name – Enter the name G Suite DLP template that was previously defined
- c) App – Files of the application that are ruling scanning operation. Recently, Google Drive DLP is available only for the G Drive documents
- d) Category – Till today’s date, there is only one supported category i.e., Data Loss Prevention
You can bookmark this post when you are in need of customizing G Suite DLP rules. First, decide that you want to exhibit with DLP for Google drive and then, get instructions for the same from this article.