How to Transfer EML Files to Outlook? – Solved
The post explains all possible solutions to import EML files in Outlook. All the methods are verified and recommended to use as per requirement. Follow the steps and complete the import process.
EML means electronic mail format. It is a file extension of an Email and it is developed by the Microsoft Corporation. Its purpose is to store the emails offline. Microsoft Outlook is the most popular email client which is used globally. It is the standard format used by Microsoft Outlook Express and other email programs.
The header of this file includes the sender’s and receiver’s email addresses, the subject line, and the time and date when the message was sent. We can transfer EML files to Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013 applications by some free manual methods.
In this write-up, I will explain how you can transfer EML files in Outlook for free yourself. You can transfer files manually and automatically. An automatic solution to transfer EML files is the best and most reliable solution through which you can easily transfer your important files and save them on your system.
Change The Default Applications to Open EML Files
The default program is the program that Windows uses to open a specific type of files such as a music application, Outlook, or any other application. In simple words, it means when you double click, a specific application always opens, that application is called default. Go to the Default App dialog box with the following steps;
Start >> Default Program >> Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Start >> type – Default Programs >> Associate a file type or protocol with a program
- Start >> Settings >> Apps >> Default Apps >> Choose default apps file type
- The file extension list will appear on the screen, find the .EML file extension.
- Click on the application icon behind it or click the ‘Change program’ at the top of the Control Panel.
- At last, a pop-up window will appear on the screen, select Outlook from it.
- By doing so, it will set MS Outlook as the default application for EML files.
Methods to Transfer EML Files to Outlook
There are multiple ways to transfer EML files into outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013 but all methods are not safe. The manual methods are free but are prone to data loss. So, we are explaining to you all the manual methods that are not recommended to perform.
Method 1 – Transfer EML Files to Outlook Using WLM
Launch both Windows Live Mail and MS Outlook on your desktop.
- In Windows Live Mail, go to the File tab.
- Click on export and select Email Messages.
- Select Microsoft Exchange and click on the Next button.
- Now, select the mail folder you want to export from Windows Live Mail. Then click on the OK button.
- After all this process, click on the Finish button.
Method 2 – Open EML Files in Outlook By Using the Outlook Application
This method can be used when EML files are separately saved on the desktop and no EML-supported email client is installed to access them. But, it is mandatory to have Outlook on your desktop to perform the given instructions.
- Open Outlook on your computer.
- Navigate to the location where EML files are saved and then select all the files that you want to transfer to Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013.
- Before transferring EML files to Outlook, first, you will need to create a new file folder in Outlook because you can not transfer any EML file to an existing (inbox, draft, etc.) folder in Outlook.
- As of now, you have created a new file folder, so, you can easily import EML files into Outlook. For that, just drag the selected EML files and drop them into the Outlook application.
Reasons For Not Using Manual Approaches
1. Possibility of overwriting – There are lots of reasons for overwriting. As we always have a lot of emails and if we are processing to transfer EML files to Outlook and in between, we received a few new more emails, then, at the time of pasting mails into Outlook, there may be a possibility to copy and paste email again. For instance, if we have 100 emails and we are importing these emails into Outlook and by doing so we received 10 new emails then at the time of importing it will import 210 emails into Outlook.
2. Time-consuming – In all the manual approaches we face some time delay issues while transferring the EML files into Outlook. There might be chances of having multiple folders with different EML files. As a result, while transferring EML files you will have to transfer from one folder at a time. You will need to repeat this for every file.
3. No change in existing folder – In Outlook you can not change and add anything in existing file folders. So, while transferring EML files to Outlook you will have to add your folders accordingly.
4. No Migration of Multiple Accounts – If you have multiple accounts and you want to open EML files from every account then you can not perform this task because migration is not allowed by these applications. You will have to migrate individually.
Method 3 – Import EML Files to Outlook Using the Smart Approach
There are several manual approaches to opening EML files in Outlook but they are not reliable. Hence, there comes a need for a Smart tool with advanced functions that can easily transfer EML files to Outlook.
One such tool is SysTools EML to PST Converter. It allows you to convert EML files to PST file format. It supports unlimited files of any size.
Features of Using the Smart Utility to Transfer EML Files to Outlook
1. View emails in multiple modes – It gives you the benefit to view your email in different types of modes before converting. You can simply view in modes like Hex, Property, HTML, MIME, Attachments, etc.
2. Option to Create Separate PST for Each Folder – While using this application, you create a PST file for each folder. To use this feature you need to go to the export option and there you will get an option to create PST for each folder.
3. Select Date Range to Export Selected Emails – In this software, you will get an option to transfer selective EML files that fall between “From” and “To” set date range. To activate this option, you have to go to the Export option and then go to advanced settings, there you will get an option to select the EML files according to date.
4. Option to Split Resultant Files – Through this utility, you can split the resultant files. If you want to split a single file into multiple files then this converter provides options to split into MB and GB sizes.
5. Preview Emails with Attachments – This application provides you with an in-built facility to preview emails with attachments. This software enables the export of emails with attachments to Outlook. You can use this utility and easily open EML files in Outlook.
Step by Step Guide to Use this Utility for Transfer EML Files to Outlook
Download and Install the Software on your local computer and follow the below-mentioned steps.
Step1: – Create PST File
1. Select the EML folder to view the emails.
2. Now, go to the menu bar and click Export.
3. After selecting the file type, tap browse to save the file after exporting.
4. Select Make New Folder or you can also select an existing folder of your choice to export selected data into a folder. Now, Click OK.
5. At last, tap the Export button.
Step2: Now Open The PST File
Perform the final step as mentioned below:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook and Click on the File tab.
- Select Open & Export and Then Import/Export
- Select Import from Another Program or File
- Browse Your PST File and Enjoy accessing it. Your task to import EML files in Outlook has been completed.
In this tutorial, we have discussed several ways to transfer EML files to Outlook. There are different manual methods that can be used to transfer files but not recommended because they have some limitations. Therefore, to open EML files in Outlook, you’ll need to use the SysTools Software application because you will get a lot of options to view and convert your files into multiple file formats. In addition, this application gives you the security of your data.