There are lots of Microsoft Outlook users reported on many forms that they are getting and the operation failed Outlook attachment error while opening the email attachment. The full error message states that the operation failed and object cannot be found”. So, if you are facing this issue and want to fix it, then read this write up till the last. Here we are going to discuss some tips to resolve the operation failed error in Outlook
Generally, this issue occurs due to the older version of Outlook and create a problem while opening the email attachment. Along with this reason, there are also some more reasons that are responsible for creating this issue such as
- The issue with Outlook Compatibility mode
- Wrong Outlook installation
- Outlook Add-ins or Duplicate Rules
- Third-party antivirus or firewall
If you get an operation failed issue while opening the attachments, then you can try SysTools Outlook Attachment Extractor tool. This tool can easily extract multiple attachments from Outlook emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and journals in just a few clicks.
How to Fix Operation Failed Attachments Error
Manual 1: Check the Outlook Compatibility Mode
To fix this issue you can verify the option named Run program in the compatibility mode is checked or not for Microsoft Outlook. To do this follow the listed below steps:
- First, go to the start button and type outlook.exe in the search box
- Now, right-click on the Outlook icon and select the Properties option from the drop-down menu
- Choose the Compatibility tab and deselect the Run the Program in the Compatibility mode if it is selected.
- Now, click on the Apply and then OK to save the change
- After all, this restart your Outlook program and check the attachment is opening or not.
Manual 2 Update Outlook Application
As we said above outdated Outlook is the major reason for operation failed Outlook attachment error. So check for the update and if it available then update your Outlook program
- To update the Outlook program follow the below steps:
- Open Outlook and click on the File Option
- Now, choose Office Account
- Select Update Option and then Update Now
- If the update is available then it starts the update process automatically
Manual 3: Turn Off the Antivirus
Some of the antivirus or firewalls can also be the reason for operation failed Outlook attachment error. Because each time we receive an attachment this application will first scan it and if something malicious found then it will block the attachments. This process also slows down the process. Therefore, you need to disable the antivirus program.
Note: Before disabling the antivirus program first check the error in Windows Safe Mode. If the error not happening in the Safe Mode then disable the antivirus and once the task is completed then enable it once again.
Manual 4 Repair Microsoft Outlook
Sometimes due to the wrong configuration in Outlook users also encounter operation failed Outlook attachment error. So to fix it repair your Outlook program. To do this follow the below steps:
Click on the Start menu and type appwiz.cpl in the search box, then enter
Now, look for Microsoft Office and right-click on it
Choose Change option
Select the repair option and click on the continue button to start the repair process
Once the repair is done, then restart Outlook and try to open the email attachment
Best Alternative Solution
The above solutions definitely solve your issue but if nothing works, then you can try SysTools Outlook Attachment Extractor toolkit to download the attachment from Outlook. This attachment management tool helps to extract attachments from Outlook emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes. Also, support Outlook PST, OST, and BAK files.
Follow the five simple steps to export attachments from Outlook using the tool
1. Download and install the software
2. Click on the Add File(s) or Add Folder
3. Choose the destination location to save the attachments
4. Click on the Extract button to initiate the saving process
As we said above there are lots of users to send their queries on many forums about the operation failed Outlook attachment errors. So considering the queries here in this article we have discussed four top manual methods that will easily resolve operation failed issues in Microsoft Outlook while opening the email attachment.