Outlook PDF Preview Handler Error – Top 4 Solutions
If you are getting the Outlook PDF preview handler error while previewing PDF attachment, then I must say you are on the right page. Here we are going to discuss some effective techniques that resolve PDF preview error in Outlook.
Well, the PDF Handler error basically indicates that you cannot able to preview the PDF attachment in the Outlook reading pane. However, you are not alone because there are lots of Outlook users report that they are getting an annoying issue where they are not able to preview the PDF attachments. Moreover, when they try to preview the attachment an error pop up “This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer PDF Preview Handler.“
Moreover, the great news is that now you can fix this issue by itself. Just keep reading this blog and in the end, you will able to fix the Outlook attachments preview error.
Techniques to Fix Outlook PDF Preview Handler Error
In this section, we have come with some of the methods to resolve to PDF preview error. So, try them and see which one works for you.
Update Adobe Reader
We know that Adobe Reader is a widely used software to open PDF files. However, there is a chance that you are facing this issue due to outdated Adobe Reader. So, in such type of scenario, the best solution is to update the outdated version to the latest version.
You can follow the below steps to update the Adobe Reader:
- Launch the Adobe Reader application
- Now, select the Help option.
- After that click on the Check for the Update
- If the update is available, then a pop up of Adobe Reader Update appears>> click on the download and install option.
- Once the update is completed of Adobe Reader. Then restart your Outlook to check if you are now able to preview the PDF file in Outlook.
Delete Temporary Files and Folders
Corruption in your temporary files and your cache files of Outlook is also the reason for Outlook PDF preview handler error. So, in order to resolve this, you can try to delete all the temporary files and cache.
Follow the listed below steps to remove temporary files
- First, close the Outlook program
- Now, press Windows + R button to open the Run dialog box
- After that copy these paths past it
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Machine\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\
- Now, delete all the files and folders in those paths.
Enable the PDF Handler
May your PDF handler is disabled that is why you are facing an Outlook PDF preview handler error. So check the Attachment Preview Setting in Outlook to be sure.
To check the PDF Handler is enabled or not follow the listed below guidelines.
- Firstly you have to open Outlook.
- Now, navigate yo the File menu and click on it
- Then select Option and click on the Trust Center option
- Click on the Trust Center settings option
- Now choose the Attachment Handling option
- In the Attachment, Handling box make sure that the Turn off Attachment Preview box is unchecked
- Now, click on the Attachment and Document Previewer option and check if “PDF Preview Handler is enabled or ticked in the opened window.
Create Adobe Reader Registry Record Manually
Sometime Adobe Reader may not create the required registry record in 64 bit Windows. Which is one of the most common reasons for Outlook PDF preview handler error? So, in order to fix it, you have to create it manually.
Now, follow the below steps to create registry record value:
- Click on the Windows Start button and search for regedit. Or press the Win + R button to open the run dialog box and enter regedit to open Registry Editor. Click on the yes button to grant administrative privilege.
- Once the Registry Editor opens navigate to the below location
- Now, double click on the AppID text value to change the Value Data to (543A1E02-D58F-44f0-B48B-36CBED287C7C)
- Click on the OK button and restart your computer to apply the registry value.
- Note Backup the registry first because making a mistake in the registry can lead to unexpected problems.
Alternative Solution to Fix an Error
If you don’t have that must time to apply all the settings and try the technique, then you can simply download the attachment and open it through the respective applications. But the point is Outlook does not offer an option to download multiple attachments from multiple emails at once.
So in this troublesome situation, you can try SysTools Outlook Attachment Extractor toolkit. This software is capable to download multiple attachments from Outlook at once. Also, has the facility to download specific file type attachments from Outlook emails.
Now, its time to wrap up the article, but in the above article, we have discussed all the possible troubleshooting methods to fix Outlook PDF preview handler error effectively.