Let me share one of my experiences when I was extremely struggling to view Thunderbird headers without opening message.
By God’s grace, I got campus selection to a reputed organization where I was appointed as a Digital Forensics Trainee. One day, my trainer assigned me a task to examine and view headers of an orphan MBOX file without opening the message. As I was new to use Thunderbird application, I was in dilemma in finding what is the right information after researching the task from the internet. Then, I came to know after sitting with the seniors that there is a manual solution available that will help to view Thunderbird headers without opening message.
Well, I was not aware that there are thousands of Thunderbird users who are raising issues in various forums to investigate email headers. Basically, email headers help a user to determine email forging, email spamming, etc.
Let me share what I got from the Internet about Thunderbird application,
Thunderbird is a cost-free email application that can run on a variety of platforms such as Windows, MacOS, Linus which is developed in different versions to send/receive and manage the emails. It is loaded with a bunch of mesmerizing features which can be easily customized and managed. The major features include quick search, email message filtering, and grouping which efficiently improves the business productivity. Moreover, it stores all the email messages on MBOX file format, which is the memory storage of Thunderbird application.
Know the Manual Solution to Examine Thunderbird Email Headers
Well, it is always good to know the details regarding the email headers. This is because the user will get to know the detailed information about the emails which has been received and send with accurate details. Now, the challenge is that the email headers are hidden from the actual mail. Following is the procedure to view Thunderbird headers without opening message.
- To begin with, install Thunderbird to open the orphan MBOX file, if it is already installed open the email message to read the email headers
- After the email message is opened in Thunderbird, click on View tab from the menu bar
- From the various options available from the View menu, select Message Source option so as to open and read the header information
- By this, one can completely view the message header, which will provide the entire details related to that email message
A Comprehensive Analysis on Thunderbird Email Header
So soon as you view Thunderbird headers without opening message, it displays the header information for the specified email as shown in the below image,
Some of the prominent parameters, which consist in the email header is listed below,
- From: This parameter includes the details of the email ID of the sender. This is quite important as it lets a digital forensic examiner or any user know the accurate details. However, many hackers and criminals try to manipulate this field with the help of email forging technique
- Date: This field allows users to know the information regarding time and data with respect to the local time zone. Also, it specifies when the message was actually composed by the sender to view Thunderbird headers without opening message
- Return Path: The return path header parameter acknowledges the sender or provides a bounce notification if in case it fails to deliver to the nominative recipient
- Received: With the help of this field, one can smartly track the details such as the IP address of the sender. Moreover, it allows to easily locate and search the suspects
- Message ID: This is a unique key, which is created by the server during the process of sending the email. When the email spammers try to manipulate the ID, one can efficiently trace the changes with the help of message ID algorithms to discover the alterations done to the message ID
How One Can View Thunderbird Headers Without Installing Any Application?
Sometimes when users want to view Thunderbird headers without configuring any MBOX supporting applications can turn the attention to Freeware MBOX Viewer tool. It is a trustworthy and reliable utility, which swiftly allows to view and open the MBOX files. This standalone software is safe enough that gets easily installed on Windows 10 OS and the previous versions. It does not pose any file size restriction, hence one can view MBOX file of any size. This tool is designed and incorporated with the best features that allow even a naive user to easily operate this tool.
Time to Conclude
When it comes to viewing Thunderbird headers without opening message, most of the users get annoyed particularly when it is an orphan MBOX file. Considering this point into scope, I have elaborated the manual as well as the automated solution for the same. To implement the manual method, one should install Thunderbird application on his/her system. However, for a hassle-free solution, simply make use of MBOX Viewer which is a cost-free and genuine software developed by the best technocrats.