Do you use an external hard drive? Are you facing any of below mentioned strange behavior of external drive?
- Failed to mount or recognize external hard drive
- Loud noisy operation
- Whirring, clicking, or grinding sounds
- Files or folders disappeared without any reason
- An error message of files corruption
- Very slow drive access times
If your answer is Yes… Unfortunately, your hard drive is virus corrupted. Now it vital to learn about how to recover virus-infected files from external hard drive.
Ways Computer Virus Spread
As a biological virus wants to save its host. Computer viruses also try to crawl in the background while the computer continues to works. However, there are several ways to tell you that you are infected.
This virus can spread when transmitted from one computer to another using software or documents with attachments, network, disk, file sharing methods, or via attachments of infected emails. Some viruses have advanced programming that can avoid detection by antivirus software.
Symptoms of Virus Infection in External Drive
Unexpected pop-up Window
Unexpected screen ads are a typical symptom of a virus infection. Not only are they annoying, but other malicious software can also lurk inside, further weakening the damage.
The Start-up is Delayed and Performance is Degraded.
If your PC boots longer than usual, or if it takes a while to open a program, your computer may be infected with a virus.
Suspicious Hard Drive Activity
An overly active hard drive makes a constant sound or keeps spinning (if you are not using your computer or running programs). This can indicate if your PC is infected with a virus.
Insufficient Storage Space
If you suddenly find out that there is no storage space on your hard drive, a virus may be doing its best to render your computer unusable.
Some malicious software can cause problems by deleting or moving files or programs. Some files are encrypted and cannot be opened.
Crash and Error Messages
If the program starts opening or closing automatically, or the system freezes or shuts down for no reason, or displays a strange error message, you may be infected with a virus.
Active Network Activity
Viruses can be busy exchanging information over the Internet, even if you are not using the Internet and are very active.
If your friend asks you to click on an attachment or link to start receiving e-mails or instant messages on your social network, chances are the virus is trying to spread to other computers through your account. In this case, change your password immediately.
Web browser slowly changing homepage or redirecting to an abnormal website is a sign of computer virus infection.
Some viruses are designed to unprotect your computer. So, if you can’t open and install an antivirus program or firewall, your computer may be infected.
Complete Guideline for How to Recover Virus Infected Files from External Hard Drive
To get maximum file recovery make sure to avoid any activity or modification of data that can cause the overwriting. It will lessen the chances of recovery of files.
Execute these steps to recover virus-infected files from hard drive.
Method 1. Virus Removal using Antivirus
- Run Antivirus on the External Drive
- Firstly scan the external drive via Antivirus on the external drive.
- Check the scan report and remove the detected virus and let the process complete.
- Open the external hard drive and check if the virus-infected files have been recovered or not.
If files are recovered then you can reuse them further, but if antivirus could not complete its job then move to the next step.
Method 2. Format the Drive to Get Data from Virus Infected Hard Disk
To remove the virus from the roots, it is necessary to format the drive. You can get data from virus-infected hard disk using hard drive recovery software after a format of the external drive.
- Plug the drive and go to Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on the drive and select the Format option in the drop-down menu.
- Then select the file system you want, name your drive under the Volume label, and check box the Quick format.
- Click on the Start tab and let the format process complete.
Method 3. Detailed Steps for How to Recover Virus Infected Files from External Hard Drive
Download and launch the hard drive recovery wizard on your Windows machine on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, or any below version.
Note – (Do not choose the same external drive to download and install the recovery solution. It will cause overwriting. )
- Connect the external hard drive to your system and click on the Refresh View tab.
- Choose the drive and click on Formatted Scan to start the scanning to recover data from formatted hard drive.
- Select the files you want to recover deleted files from a Toshiba external hard drive and click on the Save button.
- Now the software will ask you to choose the destination folder to save the files.
Note – Do not save the recovered files in the external hard drive in which your files were infected due to a virus.
That’s it now you know that how to get data from virus infected hard disk without data loss.
Exposure of external hard drive to virus-infected systems, download from malicious sites and other reasons cause the deletion, corruption of files. Virus infection can damage the external hard drive adversely. How to recover virus-infected files from external hard drive is the query asked by many users who use an external hard drive as their backup and store important files.
Avoiding the overwriting of the drive and choosing the professional hard drive will present the recovered files to your chosen location.