Hey expert, can you tell me how to unencrypt pdf on mac? I have a PDF document with me in which I need to do editing. But I guess it is locked because I was unable to do anything with the PDF document. I tried to convert it into a Microsoft Word document. But that didn’t work. Kindly help me out! – Sasha California
This is quite a common question- how to unencrypt pdf on mac on MAC? Mostly because there are some restrictions on the PDF. That restrain you from doing any activity or maybe some of the activities in a PDF document.
If the PDF document is restricted, which means you are unable to do some of the following activities:-
- Extracting pages
- Document Assembly
This is because the owner of the PDF has set a permission password in the PDF document so that one can open but cannot edit.
NOTE: Permission password is different from the opening-password which is also called document open password or user-password. If your file is secured with only an opening password. You can easily unlock PDF for editing using Mac Preview. To Know the steps read this: How to Remove PDF Password on Mac
So now you have 2 OPTIONS:
- Ask the owner to remove it or give you the permission password. So that with the help of Adobe Acrobat PRO, you can remove restrictions. Just Open the PDF document in Acrobat Pro. Using its “Unlock” tool feature: Choose “Tools” > “Protect” > “Encrypt” > “Remove Security”. Then, in the Acrobat Pro only Click on the Edit PDF tool and start editing the document.
- Use an automated tool that instantly removes restrictions from PDF files without permission password.
Try SysTools PDF Unlocker Tool For Mac- FREE DEMO version is available.
How to Unencrypt PDF on Mac in 2 Steps
Phase 1: Unlock the Secured PDF File
Step1: After installing the tool, Add PDF Files / Folders at once
Step2: Press ‘Unlock’ PDF Files from Owner or Master Level Password security.
Note: If your PDF file has a document open password / user-password then, you must provide the password to the tool. In the case of PDF that is only having restricted permissions, you DON’T need to provide the password.
Phase 2: Steps to Edit PDF Using Mac Preview
Step1: Open Preview in Mac
Step2: Click on Tools >> Annotate [A]
Under “Annotate” you can find many options to add text & various tools to draw arrows, circle, rectangles, & much more.
To know more you can visit this page.
Benefits Of Using SysTools PDF Unlocker For Mac
Users can unlock secured PDF files like invoices, bank-statements, e-aadhaar, receipts, e-books, PDF magazines, journals, forms, agreements after installing this tool.
- As the tool provides the Add File(s) / Add Folder(s) option to insert bulk PDFs for the unlocking process. This means you can save a lot of your precious time by handling multiple PDF files at the same time.
- It supports removing encryption from PDF documents having AES & RC4 128 & 192 bit encryption. This gives you the upper-hand in removing restrictions from every type of encrypted files.
- All types of restrictions like a copy, print, edit, comment, sign, form filling restrictions will be removed by the tool.
- You can directly print the Resultant PDF documents using the Print option given in the tool itself. Select it, before you start the unlocking process. (NEW)
- This utility is compatible with Mac OS 10.8 and all above versions.
- BONUS FEATURE- This tool can also remove encryption from password-protected PDF files. Its a password remover tool also. (You have to provide the password for it)
I hope this blog provides you the solution to how to unencrypt pdf on Mac in just 2 steps. If you have a large number of PDF documents with which have some kind of restrictions, SysTools Mac PDF Unlocker is a great solution.
You can try it’s Free Demo version before you own the tool. Although this utility has a self-explanatory interface. But if you encounter some problem in running the tool, you can contact our Support Team who is available 24×7 at your service.