Exchange Server keeps emails in bulk and because of this it occupies a lot of space. Everyone knows that space issue is one of the major concern in Exchange Server. It contains both emails i.e. the important ones and un-important (old emails). Does to resolve this issue the users move their unnecessary emails to an archive mailbox rather than PST. After that they can export Exchange archive mailbox to PST. Then the user can access the Archive Mailbox in Outlook and Outlook on the web.
Users can archive mailbox on the same mailbox database, same mailbox server but different mailbox database or on the same Active Directory but on different mailbox server on a mailbox database.
- Multiple ways to move emails into archive mailbox
- Advantage of Exchange archive mailbox
- Manual solution to export Exchange Archive Mailbox
- Steps to export archive mailbox via EAC
- How to export archive mailbox via Exchange PowerShell
- Automated method to export Exchange archive mailbox
- Procedure export archive mailbox by using professional tool
Before export archive mailbox to PST. Let’s have a look what are the ways to move messages to the archive mailbox and the advantage to create the archive mailbox.
Various Ways to Move Messages to the Exchange Archive Mailbox
Users can manually copy or move their primary mailbox messages to the archive mailbox.
By using Inbox Rule
Users can automatically move messages in the folders of their archive mailbox by creating Inbox Rule in Outlook on the Web or Outlook.
Using Retention Policies
Retention Policies automatically move messages to the archive mailbox from the user’s primary mailbox after a certain period. Users have to implement archive policies by creating the retention tag that use the retention action i.e. Move to Archive.
Import .pst files
The Mailbox Import Request, import messages to the archive mailbox from the PST file.
Advantages to Create the Exchange Archive Mailbox
- It decreases the risk of data loss.
- Keep the important emails in the primary mailbox.
- Reduce the size of Microsoft Exchange Mailbox and increased system performance.
Now you know the multiple ways to move messages to archive mailbox and its advantages. Let’s find out the solutions to export Exchange archive mailbox to PST file format.
There are two methods from which the users can export the archive mailbox i.e. Manual and Automated methods.
Manual Way to Export Exchange 2010 Archive Mailbox to PST
Users can use the Exchange Administration Center or Exchange Management Shell to export the Exchange archive mailbox. In order to perform this operation users must have a knowledge of Exchange Server and he/she must have patience. Because it is a time-consuming method.
Nowadays what matters most is time. If you are an individual user who has enough time and technical skills to use Exchange Server. This method is for you only because companies or organizations don’t waste their precious time to export only Exchange archive mailbox to PST.
They use a professional solution that is reliable and efficient. Which doesn’t consume so much time and export the archive mailbox without any data loss.
Note: The professional solution is described in the below section for the users who don’t want to use the manual method.
Points to Remember
Users have to focus on these points and issues before export the mailbox to Outlook Data File (PST) by using the manual method.
- User have to use UNC network share (<Server>\<Share>\ or \<LocalServerName>\c$). For this the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group requires permission to read import, read/write export for the network share. Users have to face errors while exporting and importing the PST file if the share doesn’t get this permission.
- Users do not try to import or export Outlook Data File (PST) larger than 50 GB because its the maximum file size supported by the current version of Outlook. But users can export mailbox larger than 50 GB to the PST file by using multiple export request or by using a content filter.
- It might take several hours depending on the size of Outlook Data File size or mailboxes, available network bandwidth & MRS throttling.
Notes: These points are also be used while users are importing the PST file in the mailboxes.
Steps to Export Exchange Archive Mailbox to PST via EAC
Step 1: Select User Archive Mailbox > Click on (…) > Select Export to a PST file
Step 2: Click here to export the content of the archive mailbox > Click on Next
Step 3: Insert the UNC path and filename of the target PST file > Click on Next
Step 4: Select the Check Box > Click on finish
Finally your Exchange Archive Mailbox has been exported.
Manually Export Archive Mailbox to PST via Exchange Management Shell
Users have to know commands to use this method and he/she should be technically sound to understand the error if occur while performing this solution.
Here is the command is given:
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox “acb” -FilePath “\\SERVER01\PSTFiles\xyz.pst” -IsArchive -IncludeFolders “#Inbox#”
Below is the example given:
Automated Solution to Export Exchange Archive Mailbox
SysTools EDB Migration tool is the professional solution that is used by most of the companies or organization to export archive mailbox to PST. The tool helps them to export multiple exchange archive mailboxes to Outlook Data File.
The utility by default removes minor corruption of the Exchange Database file. The software provides the Advance Scan mode that removes corruption from a highly corrupted EDB file.
This tool has a simple user interface that naive users can also use this software. User does not need any technical skills to use it.
Note: The software is capable to export all version of Exchange Server Archive Mailbox
Features of Professional Tool
- Users can selectively export EDB file and Mailboxes.
- No file size constraints
- Maintain Folder Structure and Data Integrity
- Provide scan mode i.e. Quick and Advance to remove corruption
- Remove email encryption (SMIME/OpenPGP) from Exchange Mailboxes
- Save Exchange EDB to PST, EML, HTML, PDF, MBOX, MSG file formats
- Support all versions of Windows Operating System, Exchange Server, Outlook
Export Exchange 2010 Archive Mailbox to PST | Step-by-Step Method
Step 1: Download > Install the Software
Step 2: Click on Add File > Add Exchange Database File > Click on Add button
Step 3: View the Exchange Archive Mailbox > Click Export
Step 4: Select Archive Mailbox > Click on PST > Click on Browse
Step 5: Select the target file > Click on Export
Step 6: Finally export Exchange 2010 Archive Mailbox to PST is successful
Bringing It All Together
Therefore, now you have understood why a professional solution is better than the manual solution to export Exchange archive mailbox to PST by using automated software that is mentioned above.
This write-up provides complete information about why users are exporting the Exchange archive mailbox, manual solutions / its limitation and working steps, automated solution.
It doesn’t require any technical knowledge or commands to use this software. User does not have to face any issues or error while using a professional tool. It is easy to configure and use. You can also try the demo version of the automated method.