In this blog, we are going to discuss the different approaches to export exchange contacts to PST. In today’s era, most of the users find it difficult to export EDB files data items such as contacts in the PST file format. The major reason for this is to recover data from corrupted EDB files and then access them in Microsoft Outlook.
Moreover, users are also able to access the Exchange contacts in the absence of the Exchange Server. Therefore, it is a common query for Exchange server users that How to migrate contacts to Outlook PST using PowerShell commands in Exchange 2007, 2010, 2013.
Now, the question arises how to copy Exchange contacts to Outlook PST using PowerShell? What are the commands that should be executed to perform this process? Therefore, in this article, all the possible solutions to migrate Exchange 2013 contacts to Outlook and for below versions of Exchange Server such as 2010 and 2007, using Powershell are discussed below.
Exchange Server 2007 and all the above versions support Powershell cmdlets to export Exchange address book to PST. Some more enhancement is also made to these cmdlets in Exchange 2013 that have improved the performance at the time of exporting Exchange EDB contacts to Outlook Data File.
Need to Export Exchange Contacts to PST Powershell
Nowadays, the most common question asked by the users is how to switch from Exchange contacts to Outlook PST. Here we are going to discuss, why there is a need to export contacts from Exchange server to PST using Powershell commands:
- One of the major reasons due to which the users want to export EDB contacts to Outlook PST is to extract contacts from damaged exchange files and to access them in MS Outlook.
- In this case, the user wants to take the backup of Microsoft Exchange contacts, then he/she needs to export the contacts and access them in the easiest way from Outlook PST file.
Convert Exchange EDB Address Book to Outlook PST Powershell
1.Export Exchange 2010 Contacts to Outlook
To migrate the Exchange EDB contacts to Outlook PST, one can use the Powershell cmdlet commands, but before that, the following conditions must be satisfied:
- The users must have the right to access the “Mailbox Import Export” role.
- If the user is not having the access, to add access execute the command.
New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role “Mailbox Import Export” -User xyz
When all the rights to access the Exchange Management Shell are with the user then the below command with EMS should run:
New-MailboxExportRequest xyz -FilePath MustBeUN&IncludeThepqr.pst -IncludeFolders “contacts”
- xyz is the name of the mailbox that you want to export
- FilePath is the path of the EDB file in which the contacts are stored
- pqr.pst is the destination file where the contacts are to be exported
Using this command, users can export Exchange 2010 contacts to Outlook using Powershell in a very reliable and efficient manner.
2. Export Exchange 2007 Contacts to PST using Powershell
Firstly, a user is required to have full access to the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell and Mailbox, if not, then execute the below-given command:
Add-MailboxPermission -Identity -User -AccessRights Full Access
After having the full access to the mailbox, the user can run the EMS with the command given below:
Export-Mailbox -Identity -IncludeFolders ‘\contacts’ -PSTFolder_Path [Path\filename.pst]
- Mailbox is the source role from where the contacts are to be exported
- MailboxIdparameter is the ID of the particular mailbox
- Folder_Path is the path of the EDB file where the contacts are initially stored
- filename.pst is the target location where the exported contacts are to be stored
3. Exchange 2013 Powershell Export Contacts to PST
Now, to perform this procedure, a user must satisfy the points to move global address book to PST file format which is discussed below and then write cmdlet command to complete the process to export the exchange contacts.
- The contacts that are to be exported must exist in the Exchange 2013.
- The target PST file along with its complete UNC path must be known
(xyz \\PCName234\\C$\PST\ymcmail.pst )
- The user’s account must have the access to the PST file network location.
The user can only execute the cmdlet command discussed below to export Exchange contacts to PST file format if the user satisfies the above-written points.
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox xyz_name -IncludeFolders “#Contacts#” -excludedumpster -file_path\\server_name\pqr\jkl.pst
- xyz_name is the mailbox that you want to export
- server_name is the name of the server
- pqr is the name of the shared folder
- jkl is the new PST file in which the Exchange contacts are to be exported
This full command helps the users to export Exchange Server EDB Contacts to PST.
4. Professional Solution to Export Exchange Contacts to PST
The Exchange Recovery tool is the professional tool used by Exchange and Navie users to export Exchange address book to PST. User doesn’t need any technical knowledge or skill to use this software. It provides graphical interface which makes it easier for the user to use it and they can export multiple Exchange contacts in batch in a single shot.
The tool provides an Advance scan option which repairs and recover highly corrupted and purged Exchange Database, Mailboxes, and data items. The software also provide Live Exchange Server, Office 365, and different file formats: HTML, EML, PDF, MSG, MBOX. Users can export Exchange contacts.edb in the given formats according to their need.
Key Features of Automated Software
- The software supports private and public Exchange Database File
- User can load Offline/Dismounted .edb file
- Tool preview the Exchange Mailbox data items: contacts, emails, calendars, notes, tasks, journals
- Maintains original folder structure and data integrity
- Remove email encryption i.e. SMIME/OpenPGP from Exchange Server Mailbox
- The software provides two scan mode option: Quick and Advance Scan
- Tool provide date and time-based filter to recover Exchange emails of a specific period of time
Step by Step to Export Exchange Contacts to PST file
Step 1: Download > Install > Run Exchange Recovery software
Step 2: Click on add file button > Load Exchange database file > Click Add
Step 3: Preview .edb file, mailboxes and data items > Click Export
Step 4: Select Mailboxes from the folder list > Click on PST > Click on Advance Settings >In the category option click on contacts only
Note: The category option allows users to export only the selected data items from the Mailbox.
Step 5: Click on browse to set the target file location > Click Export
Step 6: Finally, the Exchange contacts has been exported to the PST file format.
The detailed process of export exchange contacts to PST. However, in Manual Process the execution of Powershell cmdlets commands is necessary, which is very quiet complex and time-consuming. The user may also need help from some technical expertise to work with Powershell in a much convenient way to move the address book to PST. Therefore, the easy-to-use and convenient method for exporting is Exchange Recovery Software. This tool can migrate Exchange EDB contacts to Outlook format in a reliable and easiest way.